Guilt free, dairy free chocolate cake. Have you ever!!! Well here you have it. I’m speechless clearly! Great vegan find from Fresh Planet Flavor
- 1 450g eggplant
- 150 grams dark chocolate (I used 70% cacao)
- 1 banana
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup good quality raw cacao powder
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tsp cream of tarter
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Coconut oil, for greasing pans
- Dark chocolate, for garnish
- Sliced almonds, for garnish
- Grease a loaf pan and line with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Heat your oven to broil on the high setting. Grease a cookie sheet, then slice the eggplant lengthwise. Place on the cookie sheet, cut side down.
- Broil for 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is cooked through and very soft. Remove the eggplant and reset the oven’s heat to 180 degrees.
- While the eggplant cooks, melt 150 grams of chocolate over boiling water in a double boiler.
- Let the cooked eggplant cool to the touch, then scrape the inside out of its skin. Add to a food processor, along with the banana, maple syrup and melted chocolate. Puree until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cacao powder, almond flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt. Mix well, then spoon the eggplant puree into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into the greased loaf pan, bake at 180 degrees for 40 minutes (the surface will rise and then fall).
- Remove from the oven, let cool in the pan, grasp the parchment paper lining and use it to transfer the cake to a plate.
- Refrigerate for minimum one hour to set the cake, then trim the top so the cake lies flat (optional). Invert on a serving plate, then sprinkle with sliced almonds, drizzle with melted chocolate, slice and serve.
The torte requires cooling for approximately two hours before you want to serve it, so plan ahead!